Monday, September 26, 2005

Mixed messages much?

Not sure which, because this trip has been a blur of work from the moment I arrived until I leave today, but either Albuquerque is more dangerous a city than others I've stayed in, or else the staff of the Hyatt is more cautious than most. I've never before stayed in a hotel which felt the need to put a disclaimer on the city maps they give guests:

It is not recommended to walk/jog alone or at night. If walking/jogging, always carry identification. Remember, you are walking/jogging at your own risk and just as you would be careful in a familiar area, be more careful in an unfamiliar area. Please be aware of your surroundings and keep alert at all times. The hotel accepts no responsibility for any guest who chooses to walk/jog.


I'm getting the feeling they don't think I should walk/jog alone here. But just when the cumulative effect of the message is starting to get a little much, and I'm expecting the next sentence to be something about be sure to leave the name of your next-of-kin with the front desk so someone will be able to ID the body, they whip around to end on an oddly perky note:

We hope you have an enjoyable and safe stay!

2 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger sunrise said...

Hi, Damian was my cousin, and I loved reading your story about him. The last time I saw my cousin was 10 years ago when I was 18. During my time growing up, what I remember most about Damian, was during those times when I absolutley hated school,and all the grownups would say, "Yeah, she's gonna fail, if she keeps that up," he would just sit next to me, and say, "I know you can do it." He was also very helpful with me when it came to my studdies when I was in middleschool, he always seemed to know how to explain things to me in a way that nobody else could, and never got impatient when I wanted to give up on a school project. I miss him to this day, but I will always remember my cousin Damian for his kidness to me, that really meant alot.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger thalarctos said...

He was a great guy, wasn't he? I could tell he really cared about his students, and the track team he coached. Your story shows what a good, kind, and patient teacher he was, and it just sounds so much like the Damian we knew. Thank you for telling it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home