Monday, May 30, 2005

In Memoriam: Dwight Conquergood

I was shocked and saddened to discover just now that Dwight Conquergood died late last year. For quite some time now, I have really admired his work in helping disenfranchised communities to acquire and share information (see, for example, the description of the health fair performances he organized in Southeast Asian refugee camps in Anne Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down), and regret that it was cut short.

Performance Studies International has established an award in his honor.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just learned of Dwight's death as well. He was quite a fellow. I knew him as an assistant professor of what was then called Interpretation, and now is called Performance Studies, at Northwestern from 1978-1980. Truth be told, we did not get along famously, but I liked him and greatly respected him. His ethnographic work was just beginning to develop when I knew him, and it is fascinating to read about it now, after he became so well known for it. I am sad to kow that he is gone, and that his illness was prolonged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home