Monday, January 16, 2006

Heroes

According to a poll I head on the news today, over 60% of black Americans do something to mark Martin Luther King Day each year, while only 16% of white Americans do so.

When Dr. King was shot, I was just about to turn 10, and was not especially aware of race and politics in America. I do remember that we traveled to Nashville shortly afterward, and it was as if the city was under martial law. But that was only a fleeting impression of the city at the time, and it wasn't until much later that I began to learn about the history of race relations here. I'm sorry that I never knew of Dr. King while he was active, only as a historical figure.

While I never had the honor of meeting Dr. King, I was fortunate enough to get to meet Morris Dees, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center a few years ago when he spoke at the university. I am glad that he is brave and persistent enough to carry on the work; there is still so much remaining to be done, and I am honored to have gotten the chance to talk briefly with him.

1 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Raven. If you are interested in following up the Vi Hilbert version of the Sealth speech, email me at drawndreams "at" comcast.net, and I'll try to put you in touch with someone who might be able to help...

I won't abuse--or even keep--your email address (I keep addresses of friends in an entirely separate file anyway, and don't even use the browser's "address book" function, as one antispam, antivirus measure...).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home