Wednesday, July 04, 2007

PZ @ DL



Last night, we got to meet PZ and his posse at Seattle's Drinking Liberally. It was my first visit there, but it definitely won't be my last--the crowd was so big that I didn't get a chance to talk to PZ that much, but I did meet and talk to some very engaging people, whom I'd like to meet again.

Even without DL's announcing it on the list, word had gotten around, and the crowd was huge--2-3 times the usual, according to a regular. At first, a lot of the regulars didn't know about the upcoming visit--I did get to see one of them almost do a spit-take on learning that one of his favorite science-bloggers was in town and would be there that night.

Here's PZ with kat.



I actually got more chance to talk to Alaric (who really knows from bad science fiction movies and homebrew!) than to PZ,



because of the crush around him, and then our friends George and Emma arrived, so Mr. Raven and I hung out with them.

One thing is clear about PZ, though--he really is such a prof :) -- he's genuinely nice, and really interested in hearing about other people and what they do.



He really has the air of the best mentors I've had. Sorry to blow the militant, fierce, tentacled reputation, PZ, but there it is.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If PZ is so nice, why is he so vicious to ALL believers on his blog?

I am not saying you are lying, I just "lack belief in your claim."

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger thalarctos said...

Clearly Scott Hatfield, Ed Darrell, and other believers who post there regularly don't share your opinion, although it's certainly your prerogative to think so.

Personally, I think he's banned you simply because you're a notorious troll, rather than a believer. And if you become abusive or boring here, I'll do the same.

Maybe people would treat you better if you weren't so consistently vicious to them.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger John McKay said...

It was only my third visit and I'm sorry I'm sorry I didn't get to know you better, though I did evesdrop a bit. Maybe next time.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Scott Hatfield . . . . said...

Raven, how nice of you to think of me when you needed a glaring counter-example.

Emanuel Goldstein: I can distinguish between the way PZ and others treat me personally (which is invariably gracious, rather than vicious) and the skeptical, often caustic way in which belief claims are treated. Science as practiced is a pretty brutal competition of ideas, and if you're going to take that sort of criticism personally, maybe you should stay home. No privileged beliefs, sir.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger thalarctos said...

I would like that, John. I really like reading your blog, and would love to get to talk to you in person sometime.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger thalarctos said...

Hi, Scott--what can I say :) ? It's been a pleasure to read your comments (and now your blog) for some time now--you are thoroughly committed to science and science education, which warms the cockles of my heart. And even in disagreement, you remain unfailingly gracious, a lesson I could certainly stand to benefit from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home