Sunday, June 26, 2005

Brillo bear

While I will miss the bears and other animals here, the Philadelphia Zoo does have bears, whom I will look forward to visiting.

I don't have any decent pictures of the spectacled bear or of the polar bear, but I like this one of the sloth bear:



I have actually had the opportunity to touch their fur--it is very coarse; Iain aptly calls them "Brillo bears".

They have a very interesting adaptation to their myrmycophagic, or ant-eating, lifestyle--because they "hoover" the ants out of dead and decaying logs, their lips are very supple and flexible, and they have no upper canine teeth or incisors.

A question that I am curious about is at what stage do they lose these teeth? Do the teeth never develop at all, or do they partially develop and then get resorbed? If so, at what stage? I am not likely to get answers to these questions soon--if ever--but still would really like to know.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger charlie wagner said...

Raven wrote:


Whatever, Charlie.



Well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Good luck on your trip to Philadelphia. It has one important quality: it's only a short drive to New York City!

Navajo Blessing Way Prayer

In beauty may I walk.
All day long may I walk.
Through the returning seasons may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.
With dew about my feet may I walk.
With beauty may I walk.
With beauty before me, may I walk.
With beauty behind me, may I walk.
With beauty above me, may I walk.
With beauty below me, may I walk.
With beauty all around me, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
It is finished in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home